Cosmelan Chemical Peels At A Glance
- Best Results1-2 peels
- Treatment Recovery2-4 days
- Procedure Time20 min
- Skin SpecialistDermal Therapist, Clinical Nurse
- Duration of Results6-14+ months
- AnaestheticPainless, Nil
- Back to WorkNext day
Cosmelan Chemical Peels
Cosmelan mask is a novel chemical peel involving a two-step process consisting of an in-clinic peel and a home regime of topicals. This peel is aimed at treating unwanted pigmentation such as melasma, freckles, sun damage & age spots.
FactsFacts on Cosmelan Peeling Mask
- Cosmelan can address pigmentation on the face, neck & decolletage
- This peel can treat melasma, sun damage, post acne marks – post inflammatory hyperpigmentation
- The peel can remove over 90% of pigmentation within 10 days of application
- Cosmelan is a convenient two-step process
- The first step is the application of the peel in clinic
- The second phase is at home use of specified products included in the peel kit
- Patient selection is super important in achieving predictable long lasting results
What conditions can Cosmelan treat?
Cosmelan & the more powerful Dermamelan peel can address skin conditions such as melasma/chloasma, freckles, sun damage, post acne marks as well as age spots. This peel can be used on the face as well as the chest- decolletage.
How does the Cosmelan peel mask work?
The first step of the peel involves removal of excess pigmentation. The second step (at home use of pigment inhibiting products) prevents & reduces the formation of further pigment.
View our Treatment Gallery
How is Cosmelan different from the Dermamelan peel?
Cosmelan is ideal for patients who are seeking a gentler alternative to Dermamelan. The latter is 30-40% stronger (more peeling, downtime an additional 48 hours) compared to Cosmelan peel mask.
The majority of melasma peels I perform are of the Dermamelan subtype. This is because Dermamelan is stronger, hence removes more unwanted pigmentation in the one session.
How do I know if this peel is suitable for my concerns?
As always it is important to diagnose the type of pigmentation before treatment. Cosmelan & Dermamelan peels are best used on primarily stable epidermal pigmentation in patients who have a basic understanding of pigment treatments. Ideal candidates for this peel include-
- Patients with primarily superficial pigmentation (epidermal > dermal)
- People who have a strict timeline for melasma treatment, namely greatest improvement in the shortest time
- Patients who are good with at least twice daily application of sunscreen
- Patients who have less than 90 min of recreational sun a week (incidental UV such as running, hiking, swimming)
- All skin types can be safely treated (Ethnic-Asian- Dark skin)
- Lip ratio different in Asian & ethnics, means different volume of upper vs lower lip (1 to 1 ratio)
To see if the Cosmelan Peel mask is right for you, book with my clinical team at Clinic Cutis.
Davin’s viewpoint on treating Asian and ethnic skin types
Brisbane is increasingly becoming more ethnic in population with a mixture of Asians, South Americans, Latinos, Middle Eastern and Pacific Islanders. Treating cosmetic concerns such as age-spots, wrinkles, skin pigmentation & sun damage can be challenging. If conventional techniques are employed, skin darkening can occur. Laser treatments have to be conservative, and the parameters precise. The use of hats, sunscreen and sun avoidance post laser is absolutely essential or skin darkening will occur.
My favoured laser is the 1927 wavelength. We have 3 of these lasers, namely LaseMD, Fraxel as well as the Clear & Brilliant. These lasers provide gentle treatments over several sessions. I often combine this treatment with vitamin A, B and C creams as well as pigment inhibitors.
Skin rejuvenation including a reduction in pore size, wrinkles, & improved skin texture and tone can all be achieved, however an extra few laser treatments are needed. Newer generation Pico lasers including the Picoway are much better compare to the older Picosure (first generation lasers).
Pico lasers, unlike the Fraxel has NO downtime. Treatments are gentle and gradual, and performed over a few weeks. This is ideal for skin pigmentation and can be used to improve skin texture and skin tone.
Join the conversation
Join Dr Davin Lim on Instagram to stay up to date