Cosmelan Peel At A Glance
- Best Results1-2 peels
- Treatment Recovery2-4 days
- Procedure Time20 min
- Skin SpecialistDermal Therapist, Clinical Nurse
- Duration of Results6-14+ months
- AnaestheticPainless, Nil
- Back to WorkNext day
Cosmelan mask is a novel chemical peel involving a two-step process consisting of an in-clinic peel and a home regime of topicals. This peel is aimed at treating unwanted pigmentation such as melasma, freckles, sun damage & age spots.
FactsFacts on Cosmelan Peel
- Cosmelan can address pigmentation on the face, neck & decolletage
- This peel can treat melasma, sun damage, post acne marks – post inflammatory hyperpigmentation
- The peel can remove over 90% of pigmentation within 10 days of application
- Cosmelan is a convenient two-step process
- The first step is the application of the peel in clinic
- The second phase is at home use of specified products included in the peel kit
- Patient selection is super important in achieving predictable long lasting results
What conditions can Cosmelan Peel treat?
Cosmelan & the more powerful Dermamelan peel can address skin conditions such as melasma/chloasma, freckles, sun damage, post acne marks as well as age spots. This peel can be used on the face as well as the chest- decolletage.
How does the Cosmelan peel mask work?
The first step of the peel involves removal of excess pigmentation. The second step (at home use of pigment inhibiting products) prevents & reduces the formation of further pigment.
View our Treatment Gallery
How is Cosmelan different from the Dermamelan peel?
Cosmelan is ideal for patients who are seeking a gentler alternative to Dermamelan. The latter is 30-40% stronger (more peeling, downtime an additional 48 hours) compared to the Cosmelan peel mask.
The majority of melasma peels I perform are of the Dermamelan subtype. This is because Dermamelan is stronger, hence removing more unwanted pigmentation in one session.
How do I know if this peel is suitable for my concerns?
As always it is important to diagnose the type of pigmentation before treatment. Cosmelan & Dermamelan peels are best used on primarily stable superficial or epidermal pigmentation in patients who have a basic understanding of pigment treatments. Ideal candidates for this peel include-
- Patients with primarily superficial pigmentation (epidermal > dermal)
- People who have a strict timeline for melasma treatment, namely greatest improvement in the shortest time
- Patients who are good with at least twice daily application of sunscreen
- Patients who have less than 90 min of recreational sun a week (incidental UV such as running, hiking, swimming)
- All skin types can be safely treated (Ethnic-Asian- Dark skin)
To see if the Cosmelan Peel mask is right for you, book with my clinical team at Cutis Dermatology.
Davin’s Viewpoint on Dermamelan & Cosmelan peels
This form of chemical peeling is suitable for patients who require a quick improvement for their melasma, without extended downtime. The ideal patient is one who has a good grasp of sun protection, product use as well as a basic understating of melasma. To see if Cosmelan-Dermamelan is right for you, book a consultation with either myself or my senior nurses at Cutis Dermatology, Brisbane.
The majority of my melasma patients are prescribed Dermamelan as this is more powerful. Cosmelan is ideal for patients who are more risk averse, have less clinical pigmentation & limited downtime. As with all melasma treatments, candidate selection & education are paramount.
Join the conversation
Join Dr Davin Lim on Instagram to stay up to date