Venus Legacy; At A Glance
- Best Results5-8 sessions
- Treatment RecoveryImmediate
- Procedure Time5 to 30 mins
- Skin SpecialistDermal therapist
- Duration of ResultsVariable
- Back to WorkImmediately
Venus Legacy: Cellulite Treatments
Venus Legacy is the ideal device for cellulite treatment. Legacy combines multi-polar radio frequency (RF) & pulsed electromagnetic fields with intermittent suctioning. This simultaneously shrinks fat, stimulates collagen production & improves circulation as well as lymphatic drainage.
FactsFacts on Venus Legacy
- This device uses radio frequency energy to target adipose (fat) tissue
- Controlled heating diminishes fat cells
- Heating of the dermal layer also produces collagen, further strengthening & tightening skin
- Legacy is safe for all skin types, with no risk of pigmentation changes
- Treatments such as IPL can cause skin darkening
- Treatments are painless & take 20 to 60 minutes to perform
- A series of 5 to 8 sessions are recommended
- I often combine other cellulite targeting treatments including collagen stimulating fillers & subcision with Venus Legacy
What is Venus Legacy?
Venus Legacy body-contouring treatments can reduce cellulite. This device also tightens skin & reduces wrinkles.
Legacy uses a combination of multipolar radiofrequency energy and pulsed electromagnetic fields to trigger a boost in natural collagen production. For cellulite reduction, there’s an added suction component that reaches deep through tissue, to impact fat cells and improve the skin’s appearance.
How does Venus Legacy target cellulite?
Legacy works by delivering two forms of energy designed to increase dermal collagen & modulate blood flow.
- Multi-Polar RF delivers homogeneous energy & controlled heating to multiple tissue depths, allowing for quick and safe build-up of heat. Heating destroys fat cells & improves circulation.
- Pulsed Electromagnetic Fields (PEMF) further modulates circulation in addition to collagen stimulation.
Additionally, the Varipulse technology provides positive & negative air pressure that simultaneously delivers intermittent suctioning. This improves lymphatic drainage, further accelerating fat metabolism.
What types of cellulite responds best?
Certain patterns of cellulite do best with radiofrequency including-
- Generalised cellulite characterized by wavy & undulating areas
- Cellulite of the medial or inner thighs
*Divots, depressions & isolated dimples are best treated with subcision procedures.
** Cellulite is best approached with a combination of dermal fillers, radiofrequency, electromagnetic fields & lymphatic massage.
How do I employ Venus Legacy to treat cellulite?
I approach cellulite by addressing the histological & physiological causes. Understanding the etiology of cellulite will give you a clear pathway for treating this common condition.
- Extrusion forces of the lower hypodermal or fat layer pushes up on a thin dermal layer. This results in waves or undulations as seen in generalised cellulite. Dermal thickness can be strengthened with collagens stimulating fillers such as poly-L-lactic acid, & calcium hydroxylapatite. Augmented with radiofrequency devices such as Venus Legacy.
- Cellulite banding or fibrous septae that cause divots, depressions & isolated dimples. These bands are cut using subcision with microblades, Nokor, Cellulase 1440 nm side firing lasers, & Cellfina.
- Enlarged pockets of adipocytes(fat cells) exert pressure on the dermal layer above. Venus Legacy emits RF & electromagnetic fields to modulate metabolism of fat, reducing adipocyte volume. Intermittent pressure creates suctioning, further assisting clearance & metabolism of cellulite.
What other things can Venus Legacy treat?
Body Shaping & Contouring: Radiofrequency energy has been shown to be effective in melting away focal areas of fat. Typically, the thighs, buttocks, arms & abdomen are treated with Venus Legacy.
Skin tightening: Venus Legacy has the ability to tighten loose skin using multipolar radiofrequency energy coupled with electromagnetic field treatment.
Wrinkles: RF energy stimulates collagen, thereby reducing wrinkles & fine lines without the downtime of lasers. This treatment is ideal for darker skin types or patients who do not have the downtime allowed for lasers/peels.
*Note: in the context of skin tightening, body shaping & wrinkle reduction we recommend a series of 6 to 8 sessions, spaced 2-4 weeks apart.
View our Treatment Gallery
Who is a good candidate for Venus Legacy?
Patient selection is super important for predictable results. I have discussed various cellulite patterns that are suitable for Venus Legacy, other factors include-
- Stable weight & BMI range.
- Mild to moderate skin laxity
- Good collagen (patients who have extreme sun damage are not great candidates)
- Realistic expectations
What do the studies show?
An average of 3.78 cm reduction in abdominal circumference. A good improvement in generalised cellulite with 5-8 sessions.
Studies have shown that combination & targeted approaches to cellulite gives the best results. These include RF, electromagnetic fields, subcision & collagens stimulation with dermal fillers.
Are all skin types / colors suitable for Venus Legacy?
Yes. Radiofrequency & electromagnetic energy is safe in all skin types. Unlike laser devices, radiofrequency does not target the upper surface of skin. RF energy is delivered to the deeper dermal & subcutaneous (fat) layers.
How many treatments will I require?
5-8 sessions, spaced between 1 to 4 weeks apart.
*Treatment spacing is just a guide. There is no maximum spacing interval however patients are encouraged to complete treatments within 3-6 months.
When will you see the results from Venus Legacy?
You may see immediate results, however this is due to collagen contraction. This is different compared to collagens stimulation. The latter starts at week 6 & increases over 4 months.
A series of five to eight treatments are required for the best results.
Note: In the context of cellulite, Venus Legacy & all other devices are only part of the solution. For generalised cellulite, collagen stimulating fillers are recommended. For depressions, divots & dimples, surgical subcision may be recommended.
What does the treatment involve?
Treatments are super easy & comfortable. No preparation is required. Numbing gel is not required because treatments are painless.
- Firstly, an applicator will be placed on the surface of the skin. Over a period of minutes the treatment site will slowly increase in heat, until a desired temperature is reached (around 42-43 degrees). This temperature is maintained for a period of 20 to 60 minutes.
- Simultaneously you will feel some light suction. This aids radiofrequency to penetrate into the deeper fat layers & improves circulation & lymphatic drainage.
- There’s no downtime afterward. You’ll be able to resume your normal activities including exercise.
See the section on injectables for a more detailed explanation.
Are there any side effects?
Venus Legacy is an extremely safe treatment. This is because Venus Legacy™ applicators are equipped with sensors that provide real-time thermal feedback. This allows easy, immediate, and continuous detection of skin temperature. The result is unparalleled patient safety and comfort.
How long do the results from Venus Legacy last?
18 months & beyond. Combined with collagen stimulating dermal fillers, results can last up to 4 years. Naturally collagen decreases over time (ageing). This is why small top ups are recommended to maintain results.
What are the pros & cons of radiofrequency devices for cellulite?
- Treatments are quick, painless and have zero downtime.
- All skin types can be treated with radiofrequency.
- Treatments can reduce cellulite, wrinkles & potentially tighten skin.
- RF is useful post liposuction to further tighten skin & enhance results.
- RF is non-surgical, hence there is no risk of infection or surgical scars.
- Multiple treatments are required; namely between 5 to 8 sessions.
- Results may vary depending on your immune response to generate collagen.
- This treatment does not treat the vertical bands that give rise to divots & dimples.
- Touch up sessions are required every few years to stimulate collagen production.
- Patient selection is critical to achieving good results; both clinical & expectations.
- To date, there is no cure for cellulite, however with appropriate management most patients will have a good to excellent outcome with combination treatments.
Davin’s Viewpoint on the Venus Legacy: Cellulite treatment
Brisbane is increasingly becoming more ethnic in population with a mixture of Asians, South Americans, Latinos, Middle Eastern and Pacific Islanders. Treating cosmetic concerns such as age-spots, wrinkles, skin pigmentation & sun damage can be challenging. If conventional techniques are employed, skin darkening can occur. Laser treatments have to be conservative, and the parameters precise. The use of hats, sunscreen and sun avoidance post laser is absolutely essential or skin darkening will occur.
My favoured laser is the 1927 wavelength. We have 3 of these lasers, namely LaseMD, Fraxel as well as the Clear & Brilliant. These lasers provide gentle treatments over several sessions. I often combine this treatment with vitamin A, B and C creams as well as pigment inhibitors.
Skin rejuvenation including a reduction in pore size, wrinkles, & improved skin texture and tone can all be achieved, however an extra few laser treatments are needed. Newer generation Pico lasers including the Picoway are much better compare to the older Picosure (first generation lasers).
Pico lasers, unlike the Fraxel has NO downtime. Treatments are gentle and gradual, and performed over a few weeks. This is ideal for skin pigmentation and can be used to improve skin texture and skin tone.
Join the conversation
Join Dr Davin Lim on Instagram to stay up to date